Monday, February 7, 2011

The Cleanse. Day 10: The End of New Beginnings ( PICTURES Minus 6kg or -13lbs)


Day 10. Friday.
      I woke up feeling positive and energetic though I didn’t have much energy; I had barely rested the night before and admittedly the cleanse was getting to me. The difference is I may have been feeling more tired after doing little things like getting dressed in the morning or cleaning up but I was more positive about them. Not only did I feel more positive but I wanted to clean and accomplish different things throughout the day. They just took a bit more out of me than usual, physically rather than mentally. This cleanse really has been about mind over matter.
        This particular morning I was back teaching at my least favorite junior high school, least favorite because the JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) makes it a bit uncomfortable to teach with him. He’ll zip off right after class not a word said to me. Then when I stay in the classroom with the students, he’ll disappointedly tell me he was waiting for me in the staff room. When I follow his lead and go into the staff room with him, he’ll hurriedly say to stay with the students. It seems no matter what I do, I just can’t seem to get it right. This coupled with his fascination with the trans community as if they are some toy or form of entertainment, just gets me down. On day 10, tired and drained, this is the man I had to work with. Although I could barely muster the energy to write on the board, I found myself being more positive about working with this teacher. It’s not that I suddenly want to work with him; it’s that I suddenly realized that I can work with him and get through the day. In some ways, I realized to lower my expectations within the classrooms I teach in and within the job itself, and  to focus more on my life and time outside of the classroom. I’m not sure this is a win but it has me moving forward. At the end of this day, I was ready to head home. This school is located on the cape of my town, Tosashimizu. The cape is about thirty minutes from my office and I have to say that I do not know how I made it back. I was exhausted and driving probably wasn’t in my best interests. On the way, I passed the office, headed for home, picked up my bag packed for the weekend, and went back to work. At 4:15, I grabbed my bags, clocked out, and hopped on the hour bus east bound toward Nakamura. I was glad to be out of there but I still had a two hour train towards Kochi city, and one more hour train out east passed Kochi to go. By the time I arrived at my destination, I only wanted to rest. The cleanse was over and I was ready to phase out of it. Even after all this Day 10 had me wondering if I should go home, suddenly my thoughts began swing back to staying and what I would do.
         Earlier in the day I received a called from Steven, the PA (prefectual advisor) working in the immigration office in Kochi City. He wanted to see how I was getting along as a vegan in the inaka. Among the number of questions he asked was, “what are you plans for next year if you stay?” I didn’t know what to say to him, I hadn’t thought out that far. I knew exactly what I wanted to be doing and where I wanted to go if I moved back to America. But if I stayed in Japan, what the hell was I going to do besides teach? At some point in the conversation he mentioned that he had spoken with Claire (basically our overseas hiring organization) about placing persons with dietary needs in the inaka of Japan where our survival rate decreases. After our conversation, on the train ride over, I thought about what I would do and it would have to begin now. I’d focus cooking, since it makes me happy. If I stay, I’d attempt to set up some system of support to anyone living in Japan with dietary needs. Support, I so desperately needed as a vegan with no Japanese living in Japan. I’d spend a good deal of my time figuring out where there are places to eat and to purchase food for those who ask for it; and of course, time making vegan awesomness. Then, maybe by August I’d have a list ready for each person with dietary needs, a cooking blog, and e-mail support. And even a tiny business shipping baked goods off to them. Since there are no ovens in small homes in Japan, homes like those of us on the JET program, baking is difficult and time consuming. But I enjoy it, why not spread the joy? Nonetheless, I have some sort of a plan, that has been developing and it began with Steven’s question. Working on a proposal now. J

Day 10 results
Cravings: didn’t even think about them, was ready to transition off the diet.
Before: 52 kg/ 114 lbs After: 46kg/101lbs   Lost: 6kg/ 13 lbs


BEFORE                                                           AFTER




















No comments:

Post a Comment